This guide covers the nuts and bolts of heavy equipment maintenance software.
These are some of the points we’ll cover:
- Why is heavy equipment maintenance important?
- What is equipment maintenance software?
- Who uses heavy equipment maintenance software or programs?
- What are the benefits of equipment maintenance software?
If you’re looking to procure heavy equipment maintenance software for your fleet, then this guide is for you.
Why is heavy equipment maintenance important?
Not having an established heavy equipment maintenance process has far-reaching consequences. Here’s why fleet owners need to invest in heavy equipment maintenance:
1. Detect potential equipment issues early
Conducting thorough heavy equipment inspections helps ensure that parts of your machinery are working correctly.
Your regular equipment inspection and maintenance should include checking the oil level, fuel, gauges and meters, tracks and tires, coolant level, and batteries. While some heavy equipment issues are unavoidable, regular inspections and maintenance help you spot minor defects before they become more significant problems.
2. Reduce safety issues
Operating faulty or damaged heavy equipment can lead to severe crashes or accidents.
That’s why established companies invest in equipment maintenance. Not only does it keep your staff safe but it protects you from spending on costly repairs.
3. Prevent unplanned breakdowns and downtimes
Detailed inspections and regular maintenance keep your heavy equipment in its best working condition. This can reduce equipment malfunctions that cause lengthy and costly downtimes, create bottlenecks in your workflows, and hurt your bottom line.
Take a proactive approach to equipment maintenance, including creating a maintenance and repair plan and setting regular inspection schedules.
4. Increase your equipment’s lifespan
Implement routine maintenance to keep your equipment in excellent health. The longer your equipment stays in operation, the higher your potential return on investment.
Also, a piece of well-maintained equipment often has a higher value, allowing you to resell your equipment for a higher price when you’re ready to sell.
5. Minimize the need for replacements
Because regular maintenance reduces vehicle or equipment breakdown, you can avoid unnecessary spending on part replacements. Replacing vehicle parts can be costly and labor-intensive, especially if your equipment or machinery parts are only available from a few suppliers.
What is equipment maintenance software?
Equipment maintenance software is a program or software that helps digitize and modernize the process of conducting equipment maintenance. The primary purpose of equipment maintenance software is to keep the business equipment in reliable, optimum working condition by simplifying and streamlining the maintenance management processes.
For instance, some equipment maintenance software can automate the creation of work orders for predictive and preventive maintenance tasks.
When properly used, equipment maintenance software can:
- Optimize your machinery or equipment’s runtime and lifespan
- Monitor and lower your maintenance costs
- Provide detailed maintenance, repair, and inspection history records
- Track your maintenance activities, physical asset movement, and operating conditions
Who uses heavy equipment maintenance software and programs?
These are the industries and companies that can benefit the most from equipment maintenance software and programs:
1. Construction companies
Unexpected heavy equipment breakdowns can cause severe delays to construction work and costly setbacks.
When companies in the construction industry use heavy equipment maintenance software, they minimize equipment breakdowns because the software reminds them to be consistent with maintenance.
Use equipment maintenance software to:
- Detect early signs of construction machinery and equipment fatigue.
- Monitor construction equipment performance based on the number of work orders per asset.
- Monitor maintenance activities and events based on historical data.
2. Energy, oil, and gas industries
The equipment used in the energy, oil, and gas industries is complex. Their equipment handles hazardous materials and requires a higher level of precision and safety to operate. Due to the equipment’s specialized nature, it’s also more costly to repair or replace.
Using heavy equipment maintenance software reduces equipment breakdowns. It helps companies to be more consistent with their equipment maintenance, helping them avoid paying thousands for equipment repairs.
3. Agriculture and farming fleets
The machinery used in agriculture, like oil and gas, is specialized and can be a challenge to properly maintain.
One of the biggest challenges is locational. Unlike cars or trucks, heavy machinery owners and operators usually can’t bring their broken equipment to the mechanic for repairs. In some situations, the farmer might need to transport their tractors to specialized repair shops, making the process tedious.
Using equipment maintenance programs can quicken and disentangle the often messy and time-consuming maintenance process. Farmers can be more proactive and frequent in doing maintenance work — which leads to improved vehicle health.
Benefits of equipment maintenance software
Integrating equipment maintenance software into your existing processes offers the following benefits:
1. Keeps your equipment operating efficiently
Equipment maintenance software gives you better visibility into your asset maintenance tasks and workflows. With increased visibility, you can plan and execute maintenance work to boost your equipment’s efficiency during operations.
For instance, implementing and learning how to add a maintenance schedule with automated reminders lets you conduct regular asset checks and servicing. You can spot defects that cause unexpected downtimes, fuel waste, and other issues that keep your equipment from running efficiently.
Reliable equipment maintenance software can also track your service needs automatically and send alerts via maintenance reminders. You can closely monitor your asset maintenance scheduling to optimize your equipment’s health and keep it in excellent condition so it operates efficiently.
2. Centralizes your maintenance data
Equipment maintenance software drastically reduces the need for paper records — which are easily misplaced or lost. The software allows you to store, organize, and share maintenance documentation in a central location.
You can keep your inspection forms, operation manuals, technical specifications, and insurance documents on the cloud or stored on a custom digital platform. This can save you from mountains of paperwork and headache since you can access all of your important data from a single location.
3. Simplifies your equipment tracking
Simplify your maintenance planning and documentation by using equipment maintenance software. The program helps boost your workflow efficiency, especially if you have a large fleet.
It also makes tracking each piece of equipment quick and easy. For instance, you can easily create a comprehensive inventory and show the current status of each asset, which includes:
- Undergoing maintenance
- In transit
- Locked out
- Decommissioned or non-operational
You can store and centralize other critical maintenance data, including equipment pictures, manufacturer information, and serial numbers.
Some notable equipment maintenance features include:
- Real-time asset location tracking
- Personnel authorized lists
- Automated information updating, such as driving hours and mileage, through a compatible mobile device
4. Improves compliance with legislation
Given the sheer volume of data that governing bodies require, proving compliance can be overwhelming.
By easily gathering data and generating reports, maintenance equipment software can simplify the compliance process.The software can pull, access, and share data from your sources and, when necessary, provide the data you need when audited.
Benefits of machine maintenance software
Using machine maintenance software has the following benefits:
1. Optimized maintenance workflow
A dependable software makes creating and sharing standard machine maintenance procedures simple.
The software allows you to:
- Access asset maintenance logs.
- Create a spare parts management system to control inventory and to ensure you have enough parts on hand or if you need to order more.
- Establish a centralized database that includes each machine’s maintenance procedures, fault patterns, and original equipment manufacturer (OEM) recommendations.
2. Streamlined reporting process
Machinery maintenance software speeds up the aggregating, organizing, and analyzing of historical data. It includes reporting features that let you see your machinery’s maintenance frequency, the cost, and the money saved.
Using machinery maintenance software keeps your data in one place, making it easier to access and manage your work orders, inventory, asset lifecycle, and other maintenance records.
3. Efficient schedule management
Machinery maintenance software can be set up to automate maintenance reminders. The notifications can auto-trigger and be sent to designated parties when a maintenance task is due.
The technology reduces the likelihood of missing maintenance tasks and schedules and reduces administrative burden.
The software also gives an overall view of your maintenance tasks and information, including:
- Work-order details and status updates
- The list of your active machine maintenance tasks
- Maintenance costs, including parts and labor hours
- The technicians assigned to each task
Can equipment maintenance software save you money?
Here are a few ways reliable equipment maintenance software can save you money:
1. It eliminates unnecessary maintenance
Use your equipment service history to plan your maintenance months ahead. This allows you to set up a recurring maintenance schedule and avoid servicing a piece of equipment when it’s not necessary.
You’ll eliminate the costs associated with unnecessary maintenance, including inspection, hardware installation, replacement, and lubrication work expenses.
2. It reduces emergency repairs
Use heavy equipment maintenance software to facilitate your preventive maintenance processes and set up your predictive maintenance system. Doing so can reduce unexpected equipment breakdowns that lead to costly emergency repairs.
For example, preventive maintenance will keep your tires evenly inflated since the mechanics check tire pressures as part of the maintenance routine. This bit is essential because unbalanced tires can cause severe damage to your wheel assembly, which could lead to thousands of repair costs when broken.
You can keep your equipment damages from escalating and avoid paying for hefty repair costs when you stay consistent with your preventive maintenance.
3. It increases overall equipment effectiveness
The less downtime your equipment has, the more effective and reliable it is for your daily operations.
Use heavy equipment maintenance software to stay on top of your maintenance processes to keep your assets working effectively. Use the software to also plan and implement predictive and preventive maintenance to preserve your equipment’s health.
Consistent asset maintenance keeps your equipment in optimal working condition and reduces equipment damages.
Can heavy equipment maintenance software improve safety?
Heavy equipment maintenance software can improve the safety of drivers or those using the equipment. The software allows you to:
- Implement safety standards and regulations easily, such as using a digital construction equipment maintenance checklist.
- Communicate various machinery faults, safety guidelines, and standard operating procedures efficiently through a centralized online portal or platform.
- Monitor operator or commercial driver behaviors that impact maintenance and safety. For instance, constant hard braking can reduce tire treads. This can cause abnormal wear patterns that, if left unchecked, can cause misalignment that leads to accidents.
- Detect the cause of major heavy equipment malfunctions and mitigate the potential damages, including downtimes and revenue loss.
- Gain a thorough understanding of your assets to flag potential hazards and risks more effectively.
Why use KeepTruckin as your heavy equipment maintenance software?
KeepTruckin’s fleet management solution delivers the functionality needed to supercharge your equipment maintenance processes with features like:
- Maintenance reminders that help you stay on top of your asset maintenance tasks and workflows and reduce the administrative burden
- Real-time, automated engine fault code alerts that detect heavy equipment issues early and accurately
- Fuel efficiency management, an AI-driven fuel efficiency system to help reduce your expenses and optimize your fuel consumption
- Customizable, electronic Driver Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIRs) that eliminate tedious paper forms and streamline your inspections and documentation
KeepTruckin provides a complete maintenance solution, allowing you to take a proactive approach to maintain your heavy equipment and machinery to reduce downtime.
Save time and money, improve your fleet’s safety, and ensure seamless asset maintenance workflows by using a reliable heavy equipment maintenance program or software.
The software gives you better visibility into your daily fleet maintenance processes. It also lets you automate critical aspects of your fleet maintenance workflows to speed up accomplishing your tasks.
Get all these benefits and more with the KeepTruckin fleet maintenance solution. It can optimize your equipment maintenance processes for a more streamlined operation.
Request a demo now or call us at +1 (855) 434 3564 for inquiries.
All content and information on this website is for informational and educational purposes only, and does not constitute financial, business, or legal advice. Although KeepTruckin strives to provide accurate general information, the information presented here is not a substitute for any kind of professional advice, and you should not rely solely on this information. Always consult a professional in the area for your particular needs and circumstances prior to making any professional, legal, business and financial, or tax-related decisions. Some of the links contained within this site will let you leave the KeepTruckin website. The linked sites are not under the control of KeepTruckin, nor is KeepTruckin responsible for the contents of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. These links are provided to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement of the site or affiliation.